Cumnock Places


This is a work in progress. We need help about some streets, who/what it was named after, when it was built and any other interesting stories.

Please email with any information and/or photographs.

Armitage Drive was built in the early 1950’s along with other streets in the area when the Town Council purchased the Shankston Bing site. Named after Dr William Armitage, a local doctor who served the local community from 1904 until he retired in 1947.

An old road to the neighbouring burgh of Auchinleck, which crosses the Lugar Water at Stepends Ford.

Ayr Road is one of the main roads through the town and means literally the road to Ayr (the county town). Ayr Road leads of Glaisnock Street and was opened in the late 18th century, and in the early period there was a toll on the corner of Ayr Road and Glaisnock Street. Tolls were levied on goods and passengers coming into Cumnock.

Named after the hill to the south east of Cumnock.

Opened in 1969 the Cumnock Chronicle of 31st October 1969 says :-

Editor-publisher honoured in street naming

Mr D M Ballantine, editor-publisher of the Cumnock Chronicle since 1929, has joined the ranks of those Cumnockians who have been honoured by the Town Council in the naming of new streets. Asked by the Burgh Surveyor to select a name for a sub-section of the new Drumbrochan development, the councillors voted for Ballantine Court. The suggestion was made by ex-Provost J. K. H. McTurk, who spoke of the valuable link the Chronicle had provided over the years between the council and the public of the town.

Other names, which were considered for the new street, were Ellisland Avenue, Glaisnock Court, Roman Way, Linton Court, Drife Court, Logie Place, Hunter Court and Turner Terrace.

Mr Ballantine took over the editor-publisher role in 1929 from his father, the late James P. Ballantine. The family’s connection with Cumnock goes back to 1851, in which year the present editor’s grandfather established his printing business in the town.

Duncan McClean Ballantine in the centre of photograph below.

Named after the steep bank leading down to the river Lugar.

An old lane to the west of the Square which connects Tower Street to Lugar Street. It is situated on the edge of a slope or bank.

Named after the steep bank leading down to the river Lugar.

Banfield Drive leaves Holmhead Road at right angles and goes east to meet with Oakbank Drive. It was named after Mr. Banfield, the architect who designed the houses for David King and son.

An old road leading from the north of the Square to Lugar and Muirkirk. Runs almost parallel with Townhead Street.

At the top of Barrhill Road before the road leaves town.

In 1957 the Town Council’s plans for a new housing scheme on the farmlands at Barshare was their most ambitious to date. They employed well-known architect Professor Robert Hogg Matthew to design and build a million pound scheme of 550 houses. The scheme and houses were cutting edge for the time with tiled under-floor heating, wide use of pine built-in storage, modern kitchens, open plan internal stairs with ultra modern rendering, street lighting and furniture.

Phase 1 of this development was completed by 1961 and 2 years later was awarded the prestigious Saltire Society Award for the best housing scheme in Scotland

The scheme continued to be expanded up until the 2000s.

To be completed.

The old narrow lane which lies behind the Mercat Hotel. It was named after the the old Black Bull Hotel – now the Mercat Hotel.

To be completed.

Named after Broomfield Park.

Named after Lord Bute.

A small close leading from the Square to Tower Street. Named after Cadam McClure who had a Confectioner and Tobacconists shop at 6 the Square.

To be completed.

To be completed.

To be completed.

Built in the 1960’s as part of the Barshare housing scheme and named after local Dr A M Campbell who served the local community from 1929.

To be completed.

To be completed.

To be completed.

It is likely that Craighead Close – which runs to the right of the Craighead Inn – is the oldest surviving part of the town. The Craighead Inn dates from before 1722 when a lease was drawn up for the annual payment of £21 plus 2 hens and 2 loads of coal. It is supposed to have a ghost in the attic.

Where Crossriggs Veterinary Clinic is situated. An old part of town which stood at the end of Townhead Street.

To be completed.

Named after Craigens Farm.

Built in 1954 and named after William Dalgleish, a woollen manufacturer who was one of the the first Commissioners for the new Police Burgh of Cumnock. He was also the first Senior Police Magistrate from 1866-1878. The title Provost of Cumnock was then the official designation after 1892.

To be completed.

The twisting exit from Tower Street with a dog leg turn into Elbow lane and was likened to the Devil`s elbow.

To be completed.

Named after Drumbrochan Farm.

The Dubb Ford (named after the Scots word “dub” meaning a puddle) is a continuation of the Tanyard over the Glaisnock Water to New Bridge Street then Ayr Road. This was replaced by a bridge in the mid 18th century, when the Tanyard was opened up.

To be completed.

To be completed.

This lane ran eastwards from New Bridge Street towards the Glaisnock Water. The kink in its alignment may explain the name. It continued on to the north as the Deil’s Elbow.

Named after Queen Elizabeth and built in the year of her coronation in 1953.

Built in the early 1950’s and named after Emrys Hughes, Keir Hardie’s son-in-law who married Nan Hardie. Emrys was a journalist and editor of the Socialist journal Forward. Hughes stood in the 1946 South Ayrshire by-election and was elected as the constituency’s MP, and re-elected in the general elections of 1950, 1951, 1955, 1959, 1964, and 1966. A left-winger, he was frequently at odds with the leadership of the Labour Party and twice had the whip withdrawn, between November 1954 and April 1955 (over German rearmament), and between March 1961 and May 1963 (over nuclear weapons). He was Provost of Cumnock from 1934-1935 and a member of the Town Council from 1927-1947.

Built in the early 1950’s and named after Robert Forbes, Burgh Surveyor and Sanitary Inspector, who came from Buckie to Cumnock as a fully qualified applicant with a certificate in Sanitary Sciences. He served the town for 41 years, from 1915 until 1956. After he died in 1963, he could have been named the “Architect of Cumnock”, as he had planned and built hundreds of the town’s houses.

Built in 1924 and named after Alexander Gemmell who was a local benefactor at the beginning of the 20th century. He was a native of Cumnock where he worked in the Royal Bank. He moved eventually to Bradford and to Barclay’s Bank where he held an important position. In 1916 he noted the 50th anniversary of the burgh by presenting a Provost’s Chain currently on view in the Baird Institute.

Built in the late 1960’s adjacent to the New Cumnock Cemetery in Glaisnock Street. Named after George McTurk, who began his public service in 1894 as a member of a miner’s committee during a strike. Thereafter he served on local public authorities for 43 years. He joined Cumnock District Council in 1923 and was chairman for 9 years. For over 33 years he was on the County Council and was acclaimed for his long service and efforts at his retiral presentation in Cumnock Town Hall on 1st June 1951. George McTurk was awarded the OBE in the Coronation Honours List published in July 1953.

To be completed.

Named after the Glaisnock Water.

Named after the Glaisnock Water.

Opened in the late 18th century and named after the Glaisnock Water. The Gorbals bridge was built here in 1775. This is the other main street in the town and in days gone bye used to contain many of the town shops and bars.

To be continued

More street names will be added soon

Make a gift to preserve Cumnock’s history

If you feel that you would like to donate a money gift to CHG to help us continue our research into the people and places of Cumnock